I think I agree with you, TimTyler.  I can see what Legg's definition is trying
to say, but the phrase "ability to achieve goals" is too broad; it doesn't do
an adequate job of distinguishing between intelligence and other talents or
resources.

Do you think the definition works any better if we modify or clarify it by
defining all tools (including body parts) to be part of the environment?  Then,
successfully operating with or without all your limbs (either getting maximum
use out of your full complement, or compensating for missing ones) would be an
example of achieving goals in diverse environments.

Even restricting intelligence to be a psychological property might not be
enough, because then ... what about instinct?  Do you figure that instinctual
behaviors (i.e. behaviors that are hard-wired or automatic and largely don't
proceed from reasoning about one's surroundings) qualify as intelligence?  When
birds learn to take advantage of passing cars to crack nuts, I interpret that
as a sign that they are smart.  When birds build nests according to what
appears to be an inborn script ... hmm.  Not so sure.