On Monday, August 10, 2026, at 7:08 PM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> Of course he was wrong. We now have LLMs that pass the Turing test, which 
> means they have all the properties that he argued were not computable. It 
> turns out you don't have to model microtubules to build a neural network, 
> just like you don't have to model quantum tunneling of gate electrons in SSD 
> memories to model the digital logic of a computer.

The Turning test was low hanging fruit on the AGI tree. People would rather 
transmit in their language with the an AI peer that understands them as a human 
verses using some translation layer. That’s just simulating simulations. If I 
say I have a headache to another human they kind of get it, a sharp headache, 
dull, pounding, just transmitting approximations. I could transmit 1000 pages 
of syntactically unambiguous language and lack precision. How many bits would 
it take to transmit a full description of my headache? Still an approximation. 
My headache might be or actually is unique. You'd have to snapshot all the 
microtubules which I don't think is possible so an AI can only estimate 
especially when using only fuzzy words.

------------------------------------------
Artificial General Intelligence List: AGI
Permalink: 
https://agi.topicbox.com/groups/agi/T906c878e4ba411be-M6d877187407507cab11ac66b
Delivery options: https://agi.topicbox.com/groups/agi/subscription

Reply via email to