Well, in principle, Novamente is intended to be able to learn from zippo --
i.e. NO explicitly encoded knowledge.

However, the architecture does support the loading-in of prefab knowledge.
Whether, and in what ways, it is possible to introduce prefab knowledge into
a learning AGI system, without screwing up the learning and self-formation
process, is something we'll have to find out through experience.

Right now we are using a simplified Novamente for bioinformatic data
analysis (the Biomind AI Engine), and for this purpose we've loaded in a
dozen public biology databases (a painful process of crosslinking them then
exporting them as XML formatted in Novamente's DTD)

We have considered loading some linguistic information into Novamente later
on -- e.g. WordNet, XTag.  A big question is whether this can really help
with language learning or not.  My intuition is that it may be useful to
load this data into the system AFTER it has already learned some rudiments
of language on its own, to accelerate the transition from linguistic
rudiments to linguistic master.  But at our present sluggish pace we are 1-2
years from being ready to teach the beast language ;-(  [This could be
accelerated to probably 9 months if more funding appeared!]

Also, the Mizar corpus of mathematical knowledge (www.mizar.org) would be a
good candidate -- kind of a brain lobe full of mathematical proofs!

In short, in Novamente, loading in of prefab knowledge is an optional extra
to be experimented with, not a key part of the design or the teaching
process.

-- Ben G