Another reason for measurements is that it makes your goals concrete.  How do you define "general
intelligence"?  Turing gave us a well defined goal, but there are some shortcomings.  The Turing test is
subjective, time consuming, isn't appropriate for robotics, and really isn't a good goal if it means
deliberately degrading performance in order to appear human.  So I am looking for "better" tests.
I don't believe the approach of "let's just build it and see what it does" is going to produce
anything useful.

I am happy enough with the long-term goal of independent scientific
and mathematical discovery...

And, in the short term, I am happy enough with the goals of carrying
out the (AGISim versions of) the standard tasks used by development
psychologists to study childrens' cognitive behavior...

I don't see a real value to precisely quantifying these goals, though...

Ben G