On 4/27/07, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> If this is correct, then we must start with simple sentences (Basic
English) and not with mining the web or newspapers.

Sort of.  Basic English is probably pretty close to the minimal complete
seed grammar and vocabulary but it's in an extremely computationally
expensive structure.  Figuring out a good structure and how to parse Basic
English into and out of it -- and then, providing the tools mentioned above
-- should allow for mining anything (Now, the alert reader may well object
that this merely pushes the burden of "learning" onto the three tools;
however, it is my contention that this method reframes the NL problem into
<what I believe are> soluble pieces).

I basically agree, but you're jumping steps.

1. First you create a minimal Basic English grammar, hand-coding the rules.
2. At this stage you can only read simple/short sentences.
3. You then need to add more complex grammar rules to handle "real" English,
but such rules are difficult to hand-craft and thus may probably require
machine learning.
4. Only at this stage you can digest the web or newspapers.

I guess (3) and (4) won't happen immediately.  And after (2) we can start
collecting commonsense facts via Basic English.  So it seems to me that a
viable "first product" could be a commonsense engine using Basic English,
without going to 3 & 4.

YKY