Mark,

I need to know a bit more about your approach.  What do you mean when you
say "grammar is embedded in your KR"?  For an example rule like "NP --> det
noun", how is it represented or "embedded" in your scheme?

Your approach may have these problems:
1.  you cannot learn a new NL;  English is hard-wired in your KR
2.  you may have difficulty interpreting "irregular" sentences.  For
examples: "Better is the enemy of good" or "I am so not into this stuff".
Your texts need to be 100% grammatical.
3.  you may have problems doing "meta-linguistic" reasoning, ie, reasoning
*about* language itself.  For example, recognizing the peculiar speech
pattern of Yoda in Star Wars, or... (can't think of more examples now).

In my approach, everything is represented by rules, therefore it has the
most *generality*.  Your critique is that it is computationally too slow,
but I can use the following speed-up tricks:
1.  human-assisted disambiguation (asking the user questions etc)
2.  restrict to Basic English and short sentences
3.  other heuristics to improve the inference engine, eg using word
frequency statistics

My main focus is on *integrating* reasoning (particularly abduction and
deduction), NLP, and truth maintenance.  My emphasis is on the big picture
and I prefer to build a general-but-slow system rather than an
efficient-but-limited one.

But I'm interested in working with people with different foci, so our skills
can be complementary.  Also it's possible that we work on a common system
while exploring slightly different directions.