On 4/30/07, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The linguistic sign bears NO RELATION WHATSOEVER to the signified.

true

The only signs that bear relation to, and to some extent reflect,  reality
and real things are graphics [maps/cartoons/geometry/ icons etc] and images
[photos, statues, detailed drawings, sound recordings etc.].

What does "warm" look like?  How about "angry" or "happy"?  Can you
draw a picture of "abstract" or "indeterminate"?  I understand (i
think) where you are coming from, and I agree wholeheartedly - up to
the point where you seem to imply that a picture of something is the
totality of its character.  I don't believe that's what you are
saying, but you did not specify how far your analogy should be taken.

A picture is not worth a thousand words, it is worth an INFINITY of words.

Careful throwing around INFINITY like that :)  Last time I looked, my
desktop resolution was only so high, and that while there are a great
number of permutations of meaning that can be inferred from those
pictures, eventually the value curve of all that can be said probably
looks logarithmic.

Concepts (should?) grow like crystals, with new ideas along the
incomplete edges.  They're never really complete as long as new ideas
continue to be incorporated, but only those (ideas) that follow the
existing structure and pattern can fit.

Does anyone have a more formal definition of the concept tree
mentioned earlier in this thread? (A url to a whitepaper or something
would be great)