To elaborate a bit:

It seems likely to me that our minds work with the
mechanisms of perception when appropriate -- that
is, when the concepts are not far from sensory
modalities.  This type of concept is basically all
that animals have and is probably most of what
we have.

Somehow, though, we have more than just this.
We have conceptual machinery that works with
concepts whose context or origin are so far from
sense data that we cannot effectively use that
"simulation" machinery on them (these concepts
are often referred to as "abstract").

It could very well be that our mental machinery
actually operates on these concepts in ways
very similar to the sensory simulations, but because
their objects are so different from sense processing they
are opaque to introspection or at least extremely
difficult to describe.

Language could be a big part of the "abstraction simulation",
churning away the same way our internal theater
churns on visual and auditory associations.