On 01/05/07, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
There is no choice about all this. You do not have an option to have a pure
language AGI - if you wish any brain to understand the world, and draw
further connections about the world, it HAS to operate with graphics and
images. Period.

Plato's cave parable of how we are never looking at the real forms, but only
shadows on a cave wall is actually a parable of what it is like to operate
purely verbally.

I'm quite sympathetic towards this point of view, and also consider
linguistic concepts to have a shadow-like nature.  If the aim is to
produce human-like intelligence then I think you need to consider
multi modal sensory experience being integrated into an internal
simulation.  Outside of this simulation, or theatre of the mind,
language alone is meaningless - simply a stream of symbols or acoustic
oscillations.

When you're reading a book or an email I think what you're doing is
tieing your internal simulation processes to the stream of words, and
that it's the simulation process which makes it possible to learn new
things from long lists of words which you already know but which are
arranged in different orderings.

In short, imagery from visual, acoustic and other sensory modalities
give life through simulation to the basic skeletal framework of
language.