Mike Tintner writes:

It goes ALL THE WAY. Language is backed by SENSORY images - the whole range.

ALL your assumptions about how language can't be cashed out by images and graphics will be similarly illiterate - or, literally, UNIMAGINATIVE.

I don't doubt that the visual and other sensory systems are
of great importance, but I wonder how useful it is to say that
a sentence like "Capitalism complements democracy" gets
much of its meaning from images.  Sure, the words will
cause sensory associations (capitalism perhaps causing a
flash on a dollar bill, democracy maybe some imagined
meeting of the continental congress), but those seem pretty
far removed from any useful reasoning we would do about
whether that sentence is right or wrong or interesting.

Grounding "symbols" is really really important, but it
isn't the whole story.