Jiri> James, Frank Jackson (in "Epiphenomenal Qualia") defined qualia
Jiri> as "...certain features of the bodily sensations especially, but
Jiri> also of certain perceptual experiences, which no amount of
Jiri> purely physical information includes.. :-)

One of the biggest problems with the philosophical literature, IMO, is
that philosophers often fail to recognize that one can define
various concepts in English in such a way that they make apparent
syntactic and superficial semantic sense, which are nonetheless
actually not  meaningful. My usual favorite example is,
the second before the big bang, a phrase which seems to make perfect
intuitive sense, but according to most standard GR/cosmological models
simply doesn't correspond to anything.

This problem crops up in the mathematical literature sometimes too,
but mathematicians are more effective about dealing with it. There
is an old anecdote, I'm not sure of its veracity, of someone at
Princeton defending his PhD in math, in which he had stated various
definitions and proved various things about his class of objects, and
someone attending (if memory serves it was said to be Milnor) proved
on the spot the class was the null set.

Jackson however makes an excellent foil. In What is Thought? I took a
quote of his in which he says that 10 or 15 different specific
sensations can not possibly be explained in a physicalist manner, and
argue that each of them arises from exactly the programming one would
expect evolution to generate.