Jiri> Matt,
>> Here is a program that feels pain.

Jiri> I got the logic, but no pain when processing the code in my
Jiri> mind.

This is Frank Jackson's "Mary" fallacy, which I also debunk in WIT? Ch
14.

Running similar code at a conscious level won't generate your
sensation of pain because its not called by the right routines and
returning  the right format results to the right calling instructions
in your homunculus program.

 Maybe you should mention in the pain.cpp description that
Jiri> it needs to be processed for long enough - so whatever is gonna
Jiri> process it, it will eventually get to the 'I don't "feel" like
Jiri> doing this any more' point. ;-)) Looks like the entropy is kind
Jiri> of "pain" to us (& to our devices) and the negative entropy
Jiri> might be kind of "pain" to the universe. Hopefully, when (/if)
Jiri> our AGI figures this out, it will not attempt to squeeze the
Jiri> Universe into a single spot to "solve" it.

Jiri> Regards, Jiri Jelinek