If you use your brain as the read-write head in
a Turing machine in a "chinese room", "you" won't understand what's
going on, although understanding may very well take place. (cf chapter
3 of WIT?). Similarly, if you use your brain as the r-w head in a
Turing machine to run a program that feels pain, "you" won't feel
pain, but that does not mean pain is not "felt".

So, I guess, if computer programs have a secret social life, some may
wonder why are their gods so cruel. Sorry programs, we are just blind
when it comes to your pain, but things may change thanks to fellow
gods like Eric & Mark ;-).

Eric,

Any hint on how we should use our brains in order to process the code
so that we could experience the pain as closely as possible to the way
how [you think] machines might be experiencing it? What do you think
might be the simplest computer system capable of feeling pain? And
when it's in pain, what are (/would be) the symptoms?

Jiri