Jiri,

you are blind when it comes to my pain too.
In fact, you are blind when it comes to many sensations within your own
brain. Cut your corpus callosum, and the other half will have sensations
that you are blind to. Do you think they are not there now, before you
cut it?

>> If you use your brain as the read-write head in a Turing machine in
>> a "chinese room", "you" won't understand what's going on, although
>> understanding may very well take place. (cf chapter 3 of
>> WIT?). Similarly, if you use your brain as the r-w head in a Turing
>> machine to run a program that feels pain, "you" won't feel pain,
>> but that does not mean pain is not "felt".

Jiri> So, I guess, if computer programs have a secret social life,
Jiri> some may wonder why are their gods so cruel. Sorry programs, we
Jiri> are just blind when it comes to your pain, but things may change
Jiri> thanks to fellow gods like Eric & Mark ;-).

Jiri> Eric,

Jiri> Any hint on how we should use our brains in order to process the
Jiri> code so that we could experience the pain as closely as possible
Jiri> to the way how [you think] machines might be experiencing it?
Jiri> What do you think might be the simplest computer system capable
Jiri> of feeling pain? And when it's in pain, what are (/would be) the
Jiri> symptoms?

Jiri> Jiri

Jiri> options, please go to:
Jiri> http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;