I would claim that the specific nature of any quale, such as the
various nuanced pain sensations, depends (in fact, is the same thing
as) the code being run/ computation being performed when the quale
is perceived. I therefor don't
find it at all surprising that insects perceive pain differently, in
what might be called a diminished manner, from the way we do.
Also human consciousness can be diminished, for example by drugs
that interfere with the usual computations.

Jiri> Eric, I'm not 100% sure if someone/something else than me feels
Jiri> pain, but considerable similarities between my and other humans

Jiri> - architecture - [triggers of] internal and external pain
Jiri> related responses - independent descriptions of subjective pain
Jiri> perceptions which correspond in certain ways with the internal
Jiri> body responses

Jiri> make me think it's more likely than not that other humans feel
Jiri> pain the way I do.  The further you move from human like
Jiri> architecture the less you see the signs of pain related behavior
Jiri> (e.g. the avoidance behavior). Insect keeps trying to use badly
Jiri> injured body parts the same way as if they weren't injured and
Jiri> (unlike in mammals) its internal responses to the injury don't
Jiri> suggest that anything crazy is going on with them. And when I
Jiri> look at software, I cannot find a good reason for believing it
Jiri> can be in pain. The fact that we can use pain killers (and other
Jiri> techniques) to get rid of pain and still remain complex systems
Jiri> capable of general problem solving suggests that the pain quale
Jiri> takes more than complex problem solving algorithms we are
Jiri> writing for our AGI.

Jiri> Regards, Jiri

Jiri> options, please go to:
Jiri> http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;