On 10/2/07, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/2/07, Jef Allbright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Argh!  "Goal system" and "Friendliness" are roughly the same sort of
> > confusion.  They are each modelable only within a ***specified***,
> > encompassing context.
> >
> > In more coherent, modelable terms, we express our evolving nature,
> > rather than strive for "goals."
> >

> Terminology. Note that I did talk about subproblems of 'goal system':
> 'goal content' (textual description, such as Eliezer's CV) and
> property of system itself to behave according to this 'goal content'.
> Word 'goal' is a functional description, it doesn't limit design
> choices.
> What do you mean by context here? Certainly goal content needs
> semantic grounding in system's knowledge.

Fundamental systems theory. Any system can be effectively specified
only within a more encompassing context.  Shades of Godel's theorem
considering the epistemological implications.  So it's perfectly valid
to speak of goals within an effectively specified context, but it's
incoherent to speak of a supergoal of friendliness as if that
expression has a modelable referent.

Goals, like free-will, are a property of the observer, not the observed.

When I speak of context, I'm generally not talking semantics but
pragmatics; not meaning, but "what works"; not linguistics, but
systems.

[I want to apologize to the list. I'm occasionally motivated to jump
in where I imagine I see some fertile ground to plant a seed of
thought, but due to pressures of work I'm unable to stay and provide
the appropriate watering and tending needed for its growth.]

- Jef