On 08/10/2007, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From: "William Pearson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Laptops aren't TMs.
> > Please read the wiki entry to see that my laptop isn't a TM.
>
> But your laptop can certainly implement/simulate a Turing Machine (which was
> the obvious point of the post(s) that you replied to).

But in that case my analogy holds. Both GoL and my laptop can
implement a TM, neither *are* TMs. Both are computationally universal.
Richard Loosemore's argument in the post I was replying to was based
on saying my laptop was *already* a TM not, "can simulate a TM." He
was trying to intimate some difference between the relation of my
laptop to a TM and the relation between GoL and a TM. Which was
incorrect.

> Seriously, people, can't we lose all these spurious arguments?  We have
> enough problems communicating without deliberate stupidity.

I am not being deliberately stupid, simply refuting his sloppy claim
that a laptop is a TM in a way that the GoL isn't a TM.

 Will Pearson