Derek,

Thank you.

I think the list should be a place where people can debate and criticize
ideas, but I think such poorly reasoned and insulting flames like Jefs are
not helpful, particularly if they are driving potentially valuable
contributors like you off the list.

Luckily such flames are relatively rare.  So I think we should criticize
such flames when they do occur so there are fewer of them and try to have
tougher skin so that when they occur we don’t get too upset by them (and
so that we don’t ourselves get drawn into flame mode by tough but fair
criticisms).

I just re-read my email that sent Jef into such a tizzy.  Although it was
not hostile, it was not as tactful as it could have been.  In my attempt
to respond quickly I did not intended to attack him or his paper (other
than one apparent mis-statement in it), but rather to say it didn’t relate
to the issue I was specifically interested in.  I actually thought it was
quite an interesting article.  I wish in hindsight I had said so.  At the
end of the post that upset Jef I actually asked how the Kolmogorov
complexity measure his paper discussed might be applied to a given type of
AGI.  That was my attempt to acknowledge the importance of what the paper
dealt with.

Lets just hope going forward most people can take fair attempts to debate,
question, or attack their ideas without flipping out, and I guess we all
should spend an extra 5% more time in our posts trying to be tactful.

And lets just hope more people like you start contributing again.

Ed Porter