Ethics only becomes snarled when one is unwilling to decide/declare what the
goal of life is.

Extrapolated Volition comes down to a homunculus depending upon the definition
of wiser or saner.

Evolution has "decided" what the goal of life is . . . . but most are unwilling
to accept it (in part because most do not see it as anything other than
"nature, red in tooth and claw").

The "goal" in life is simply continuation and continuity.  Evolution goes for
continuation of species -- which has an immediate subgoal of continuation of
individuals (and sex and protection of offspring).  Continuation of individuals
is best served by the construction of and continuation of society.

If we're smart, we should decide that the goal of ethics is the continuation of
society with an immediate subgoal of the will of individuals (for a large
variety of reasons -- but the most obvious and easily justified is to prevent
the defection of said individuals).

If an AGI is considered a willed individual and a member of society and has the
same ethics, life will be much easier and there will be a lot less chance of
the "Eliezer-scenario".  There is no enslavement of Jupiter-brains and no
elimination/suppression of "lesser" individuals in favor of "greater"
individuals -- just a realization that society must promote individuals and
individuals must promote society.

Oh, and contrary to popular belief -- ethics has absolutely nothing to do with
pleasure or pain and *any* ethics based on such are doomed to failure.
Pleasure is "evolution's reward" to us when we do something that promotes
"evolution's goals".  Pain is "evolution's punishment" when we do something (or
have something done) that is contrary to survival, etc.  And while both can be
subverted so that they don't properly indicate guidance -- in reality, that is
all that they are --> guideposts towards other goals.  Pleasure is a BAD goal
because it can interfere with other goals.  Avoidance of pain (or infliction of
pain) is only a good goal in that it furthers other goals.

Suicide is contrary to continuation.  Euthanasia is recognition that, in some
cases, there is no meaningful continuation.

Life extension should be optional at least as long as there are resource
constraints.