On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Richard,
>

>  >  Unfortunately I cannot bring myself to believe this will help anyone new
>  >  to the area.
>  >
>  >  The main reason is that this is only a miscellaneous list of topics,
>  >  with nothing to indicate a comprehensive theory or a unifying structure.

Actually it's not a haphazardly assembled miscellaneous list of topics
... it was
assembled with a purpose and structure in mind...

Specifically, I was thinking of OpenCog, and what it would be good for someone
to know in order to have a relatively full grasp of the OpenCog design.

As such, the topic list may contain stuff that is not relevant to your
AGI design,
and also may miss stuff that is critical to your AGI design...

But the "non textbook" is NOT intended as a presentation of OpenCog or any
other specific AGI theory or framework.  Rather, it is indeed,
largely, a grab bag
of relevant prerequisite information ... along with some information on specific
AGI approaches...

One problem I've found is that the traditional undergrad CS or AI education does
not actually give all the prerequisites for really grasping AGI
theories ... often
topics are touched in a particularly non-AGI-ish way ... for instance,
neural nets
are touched but complex dynamics in NN's are skipped ... Bayes nets are touched
but issues involving combining probability with more complex logic operations
are skipped ... neurons are discussed but theories of holistic brain function
are skipped ... etc.   The most AGI-relevant stuff always seems to get
skipped for
lack of time..!

ben