Hi Mike,

Of course you are correct about enterprise networks, or anyone else who would
hire a an administrator for their network.  I am totally opposed to a rouge,
corporate policy-subverting employee would would download software without
permission, especially one that would expose a service that endangers their
workplace.  This is indeed the bane of system and network admins.

However, as an end user of the AT&T network, at my home, here in Austin, in
which I am the administrator, and who wants only to connect to other such
non-enterprise users, I think that your objections do not apply.   I want to be
like Skype, the popular non-scum Internet phone service that also performs NAT
hole punching (a.k.a. NAT traversal).

I hope that Texai software eventually will be on the list of approved corporate
software.  After all I plan for it to be friendly and useful in a compelling
way.  It will be free to use even for commercial purposes provided that the
non-proprietary knowledge and skills it learns are shared for the common
wealth.

To address your issue with P2P being blocked by ISP, you could allow
those nodes with public server capability to proxy connections to
client-only nodes.  I know that sounds like undue pain, but this is
exactly the kind of modular flexibility that distributed agents should
be able to work out in response to varying network conditions

I accept your advice, and actually had some experience at Cycorp with the Sun
JXTA protocol that does this.   but I would far prefer to perform direct P2P.
Public relays are not only slower, they will be more expensive.  AT&T charges
more than double for a small range of static IP addresses, and the setup is off
the beaten path for most end-users who might offer relay services.  Relays
could become performance bottlenecks too.   For an initial deployment I would
like to try direct P2P unless you have a better objection, or maybe you could
just clarify the remarks you already made, given my own clarification herein.

Thanks for the great comment.  I do really do not want to waste time with the
wrong P2P design decision.
-Steve

Stephen L. Reed

Artificial Intelligence Researcher