J. Andrew Rogers said:

For open source projects, ideal environments play
second fiddle to broad language support. Painless portability is the
reason C is often selected over C++ for open source projects --
universality is that important.
J. Andrew Rogers

Would you please direct me to open source project web sites that may be of
interest to AI projecteers, and a C++ compiler to use with them.  I never found
any comments on a good compiler to use on a Windows XP system (other than the
microsoft compiler of course.)  I am also looking for a web site that also has
some introductory material on
how one goes about working on a listed open source project.
Jim Bromer