Lukasz,

This will probably be my last post for a week or so, because I am off to
WORLDCOMP. Also, I am in a BIG hurry here, so this will be all too brief...

On 7/12/08, Lukasz Kaiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Steve.
>
> > WOW, could you send me a copy? Please  ;-)
>
> I'll send you one to private mail when I get back to my computer,
> but you can find the papers on my webpage anyway.
>
> > Could you give me enough to find them with Google? I would think that if
> > there is a lot out there, that they would have one at WORLDCOMP, but I
> > haven't seen any such thing there.
>
> The acronyms of the most popular conferences are LICS, ICALP,
> STACS, CSL, LPAR (and partially STOC and FOCS). Google will easily
> find them. Many of them have not only logic but algorithms as well, so
> you should be careful to pick the right papers - but this will be hard
> without
> some experience in theoretical computer science, as these are normally
> very technical papers often focused on a particular domain or logic.
>
> > I list game theory as an advanced form of logic, but few real-world
> > situations (outside of American football and some quick-reacting war
> > strategy situations) are structured as Game Theory presumes.
> >
> > My interest is more in new forms of logic that are applicable to complex
> > repair situations and real-world intractable disputes. Game theory might
> > tell you how to fight, but seldom does it point the way to a peaceful
> resolution.
>
> What you write about game theory is false - classical game theory
> is very much concerned with studying cooperative situations and
> mechanisms to obtain peaceful outcomes.

I presume that you are referring to multiple-solution situations so typical
of non-zero-sum games. There, a little cooperation can often push things to
the best of several solutions, e.g. in the Prisoner's Dilemma, getting both
prisoners to not confess.

There is a recent good
> book on it by A.M. Brandenburger and B.J. Nalebuff called
> Co-opetition: this is a good non-technical reading. Many people
> give credit to game theory for the peaceful outcome of the cold
> war, so it surely has practical cooperative consequences.

Herman Kahn, the "inventor" of MAD was big into Game Theory, but as I
(mis?)understand things, the solution doesn't actually come out of Game
Theory, as Game Theory does NOT suggest new prospective solutions, but
rather evaluates solutions presented (as rows and columns to the payoff
matrix).

I'm not sure to what kind of introductory reading I can point you to,
> as I'm not sure what you want. Did you take university courses
> in logic and game theory?

No, but I built the fastest game theory computer then in existence out of
old telephone switching components when I was in high School. It would find
a solution to a 5X5 non-zero-sum problem in about an hour using successive
approximation. The IEEE (then the IRE) paid my way to WESCON to demonstrate
it, where I met the crew from RAND Corp.

Starting with the basics really pays off,
> and nowadays for example cnx.org has a respectable first course
> in logic, so you can do it from home for starters.

Unfortunately, it seems to be buried among over 6K other courses. Perhaps
you could guide me to it?

I searched for "Logic" and got lots of "hits", but the ones I looked at all
seemed to use some other meaning of the term "logic" than we have been
using, e.g. digital logic, conventional logic applied to some situation, an
electronic logic analyzer, etc.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve Richfield