That's if you aim at getting an AGI that is intelligent in the real world. I
think some people on this list (incl Ben perhaps) might argue that for now -
for safety purposes but also due to costs - it might be better to build an
AGI that is intelligent in a simulated environment.

Ppl like Ben argue that the concept/engineering aspect of intelligence
is *independent
of the type of environment*. That is, given you understand how to make it in
a virtual environment you can then tarnspose that concept into a real
environment more safely.

Some other ppl on the other hand believe intelligence is a property of
humans only. So you have to simulate every detail about humans to get that
intelligence. I'd say that among the two approaches the first one (Ben's) is
safer and more realistic.

I am more concerned with the physics aspect of the whole issue I guess.