That seems a pretty sketchy anti-AGI argument, given the coordinated
advances in computer hardware, computer science and cognitive science during
the last couple decades, which put AGI designers in a quite different
position from where we were in the 80's ...

ben

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- On Sun, 9/21/08, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hence the question: you are making a very strong assertion by
> > effectively saying that there is no shortcut, period (in the
> > short-term perspective, anyway). How sure are you in this
> > assertion?
>
> I can't prove it, but the fact that thousands of smart people have worked
> on AI for decades without results suggests that an undiscovered shortcut is
> about as likely as proving P = NP. Not that I expect people to stop trying
> to solve either of these...
>

> -- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome " - Dr Samuel Johnson