--- On Sun, 9/21/08, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 5:54 AM, Matt Mahoney
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > As I explained, my cost estimate is based on the value of the
> > global economy and the assumption that AGI would automate it
> > by replacing human labor.
> >

> The cost of (in modern sense) automation of agriculture isn't equal to
> the cost of manual labor of nearly 100% of population that
> was required before it was automated. The Nature isn't fare, there is no
> law that says that a project provides benefit close to its
> cost. You don't need groups of farmers all over the Earth to
> teach every grain harvester combine for 30 years about harvesting.

There is a time/cost tradeoff. The cost of plowing a field with a tractor was
about the same as plowing with horses when tractors first became available. If
that wasn't true, then everyone would have switched to tractors immediately and
that didn't happen. The price dropped gradually.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]