-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- On Sun, 9/21/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Here's the thing ... it might wind up costing trillions of dollars to
>ultimately replace all aspects of the human economy with AGI-based labor ...
>but this cost doesn't need to occur **before** the first human-level AGI is
>created ...

"Human level AGI" isn't well defined. We aren't creating artificial humans.
We're creating machines that can do more, like Google can do more than a
calculator. Both are already more intelligent than humans at certain tasks.

And you're right that we don't need to pay for it first. Given the cost, it's
not even possible. The cost is ongoing, like building the internet.

>We'll create the human-level AGI first, without such a high cost --- and then,
>perhaps it will cost a lot of $$ to refit all the McDonalds and Walmarts and
>auto factories to to run on AGI power rather than human power ... but that is
>not part of the cost of creating the AGI.

Let's not fall into the trap of imagining the future is like the present,
except with AGI. Fifty years ago we imagined a future with robot gas station
attendants and tourists on Mars, not the other way around. AGI will change the
way we do things in ways that are hard to imagine.

>  (And of course, the AGI may achieve Singularity before the McDonalds' are
> refit ... ;-)

That is phase 2, when fear of death induces us to create agents with human
goals.