Here's the thing ... it might wind up costing trillions of dollars to
ultimately replace all aspects of the human economy with AGI-based labor ...
but this cost doesn't need to occur **before** the first human-level AGI is
created ...

We'll create the human-level AGI first, without such a high cost --- and
then, perhaps it will cost a lot of $$ to refit all the McDonalds and
Walmarts and auto factories to to run on AGI power rather than human power
... but that is not part of the cost of creating the AGI.  (And of course,
the AGI may achieve Singularity before the McDonalds' are refit ... ;-)

ben g

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- On Sun, 9/21/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >yes, but your cost estimate is based on some very odd and specialized
> assumptions regarding AGI architecture!!!
>
> As I explained, my cost estimate is based on the value of the global
> economy and the assumption that AGI would automate it by replacing human
> labor. It is independent of the technology, other than the assumption that
> there won't be fundamental breakthroughs, such as discovering that P = NP or
> a new species of intelligent bacteria.
>

> -- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome " - Dr Samuel Johnson