On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- On Sun, 9/28/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Yes, the big weakness of the whole Cyc framework is learning.  Their logic
> engine seems to be pretty poor at incremental, experiential learning ... in
> linguistics as in every other domain.
> >
> >I don't think they have a workable approach to NL understanding or
> generation ... I was just pointing out that they *are* explicitly devoting a
> lot of resources to the problem ...
>
> I agree. You need to build the language model first. And then you don't
> need to build an inference engine and knowledge base because you already
> have them.

I don't agree fully with the above ... I believe one can create the language
model, experiential-learning engine and inference engine together, so that
the two are built to help each other ... and that hand-coded commonsense
knowledge can potentially be helpful (though not necessary) in this
context....   But, Cyc didn't do it this way, they began with a
knowledge-store and a crisp inference engine only, and are now trying to
graft other components onto this framework, which IMO isn't working very
well...

> But Cyc has too much invested to start over. The best we can do is urge
> others (YKY) not to make the same mistake.

YKY feels he is doing something quite different than Cyc due to his use of
fuzzy logic and a different knowledge format, but IMO these differences are
not so dramatic, and his problem will run into the same problems Cyc has
unless it changes strategy significantly...

ben g