On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM, YKY (Yan King Yin) <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Parsing English sentences into sets of formal-logic relationships is not
> > extremely hard given current technology.
> >
> > But the only feasible way to do it, without making AGI breakthroughs
> > first, is to accept that these formal-logic relationships will then
> embody
> > significant ambiguity.
>
> We are talking about 2 things:
> 1.  Using an "ad hoc" parser to translate NL to logic
> 2.  Using an AGI to parse NL
>
> I think I've already formulated how to do #2, and will try to
> implement it soon.  But it *still* requires a lot of training (not
> surprisingly).

I'm not sure what you mean by "parse" in step 2

> Yes, if we use #1 then we have to deal with ambiguities.  But #2
> provides some ready-to-run components right now.
>
> > _poss(life,your)
> > _poss(treasure,my)
> > _obj(Guard,treasure)
> > with(Guard,life)
> > _imperative(Guard)
>
> This logical form is somewhat similar to Rus form...  does it have a name?

I don't know what Rus form is...

This is just RelEx's output, it doesn't have a name...

> > I think it can be handled via embodiment, i.e. via having an AI system
> > observe
> > the usage of various senses of "with" in various embodied contexts.
>
> I'm afraid the crux is not in embodiment.  It's in abduction  =)

I'm afraid there is no single crux ... the idea that there's a single
cognitive
mechanism that is the crux to intelligence is a common and major mistake
in AI theory IMHO ... if there's any one crux it lies in the emergent
structures
of self and reflective awareness... not in any single cognitive mechanism...

But, yah, abduction is one of the key inference steps you'd use to transfer
knowledge from embodied experience to language ... as well as from
one linguistic context to another...

ben