On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Abram Demski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ben,
>
> I have heard the argument for point 2 before, in the book by Pinker,
> "How the Mind Works". It is the inverse-optics problem: physics can
> predict what image will be formed on the retina from material
> arrangements, but if we want to go backwards and find the arrangements
> from the retinal image, we do not have enough data at all. Pinker
> concludes that we do it using cognitive bias.

I understood Pinker's argument, but not Colin Hales's ...

Also, note cognitive bias can be learned rather than inborn (though in this
case I imagine it's both).

Probably we would be very bad at seeing environment different from those we
evolved in, until after we'd gotten a lot of experience in them...

ben