Ben Goertzel wrote:

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Abram Demski <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Ben,

    I have heard the argument for point 2 before, in the book by Pinker,
    "How the Mind Works". It is the inverse-optics problem: physics can
    predict what image will be formed on the retina from material
    arrangements, but if we want to go backwards and find the arrangements
    from the retinal image, we do not have enough data at all. Pinker
    concludes that we do it using cognitive bias.

I understood Pinker's argument, but not Colin Hales's ...

Also, note cognitive bias can be learned rather than inborn (though in this case I imagine it's both). Probably we would be very bad at seeing environment different from those we evolved in, until after we'd gotten a lot of experience in them...

ben
I think the initial cognitive biases MUST be built in.

OTOH, clearly early experiences strongly shape the development from the built in biases. (E.g. experiments on kittens raised in a room with only vertical lines, and their later inability to see horizontal lines.)