The argument seems wrong to me intuitively, but I'm hard-put to argue
against it because the terms are so unclearly defined ... for instance I
don't really know what you mean by a "visual scene" ...

I can understand that to create a form of this argument worthy of being
carefully debated, would be a lot more work than writing this summary email
you've given.

So, I agree with your judgment not to try to extensively debate the argument
in its current sketchily presented form.

If you do choose to present it carefully at some point, I encourage you to
begin by carefully defining all the terms involved ... otherwise it's really
not possible to counter-argue in a useful way ...

thx
ben g

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Colin Hales
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> I can give the highly abridged flow of the argument:
>
> !) It refutes COMP , where COMP = Turing machine-style abstract symbol
> manipulation. In particular the 'digital computer' as we know it.
> 2) The refutation happens in one highly specific circumstance. In being
> false in that circumstance it is false as a general claim.
> 3) The circumstances:  If COMP is true then it should be able to implement
> an artificial scientist with the following faculties:
>   (a) scientific behaviour (goal-delivery of a 'law of nature', an
> abstraction BEHIND the appearances of the distal natural world, not merely
> the report of what is there),
>   (b) scientific observation based on the visual scene,
>   (c) scientific behaviour in an encounter with radical novelty. (This is
> what humans do)
>
> The argument's empirical knowledge is:
> 1) The visual scene is visual phenomenal consciousness. A highly specified
> occipital lobe deliverable.
> 2) In the context of a scientific act, scientific evidence is 'contents of
> phenomenal consciousness'. You can't do science without it. In the context
> of this scientific act, visual P-consciousness and scientific evidence are
> identities. P-consciousness is necessary but on its own is not sufficient.
> Extra behaviours are needed, but these are a secondary consideration here.
>
> NOTE: Do not confuse "scientific observation"  with the "scientific
> measurement", which is a collection of causality located in the distal
> external natural world. (Scientific measurement is not the same thing as
> scientific evidence, in this context). The necessary feature of a visual
> scene is that it operate whilst faithfully inheriting the actual causality
> of the distal natural world. You cannot acquire a law of nature without this
> basic need being met.
>
> 3) Basic physics says that it is impossible for a brain to create a visual
> scene using only the inputs acquired by the peripheral stimulus received at
> the retina. This is due to fundamentals of quantum degeneracy. Basically
> there are an infinite number of distal external worlds that can deliver the
> exact same photon impact. The transduction that occurs in the retinal
> rod/cones is entirely a result of protein isomerisation. All information
> about distal origins is irretievably gone. An impacting photon could have
> come across the room or across the galaxy. There is no information about
> origins in the transduced data in the retina.
>
> That established, you are then faced with a paradox:
>
> (i) (3) says a visual scene is impossible.
> (ii) Yet the brain makes one.
> (iii) To make the scene some kind of access to distal spatial relations
> must be acquired as input data in addition to that from the retina.
> (iv) There are only 2 places that can come from...
>       (a) via matter (which we already have - retinal impact at the
> boundary that is the agent periphery)
> [...]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson