Hmm...

I think that non-retarded humans are fully general intelligences in the
following weak sense: for any fixed t and l, for any human there are some
numbers M and T so that if the human is given amount M of external memory
(e.g. notebooks to write on), that human could be taught to emulate AIXItl

[see
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Artificial-Intelligence-Algorithmic-Probability/dp/3540221395/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224614995&sr=1-1,
or the relevant papers on Marcus Hutter's website]

where each single step of AIXItl might take up to T seconds.

This is a kind of generality that I think no animals but humans have.  So,
in that sense, we seem to be the first evolved general intelligences.

But, that said, there are limits to what any one of us can learn in a fixed
finite amount of time.   If you fix T realistically then our intelligence
decreases dramatically.

And for the time-scales relevant in human life, it may not be possible to
teach some people to do science adequately.

I am thinking for instance of a 40 yr old student I taught at the University
of Nevada way back when (normally I taught advanced math, but in summers I
sometimes taught remedial stuff for extra $$).  She had taken elementary
algebra 7 times before ... and had had extensive tutoring outside of class
... but I still was unable to convince her of the incorrectness of the
following reasoning: "The variable a always stands for 1.  The variable b
always stands for 2. ... The variable z always stands for 26."   She was not
retarded.  She seemed to have a mental block against algebra.  She could
discuss politics and other topics with seeming intelligence.  Eventually I'm
sure she could have been taught to overcome this block.  But, by the time
she overcame every other issue in the way of really understanding science,
her natural lifespan would have long been overspent...

-- Ben G