If MW would be scientific then he would not have asked Ben to prove that MWs hypothesis is wrong.

Science is done by comparing hypotheses to data. Frequently, the fastest way to handle a hypothesis is to find a counter-example so that it can be discarded (or extended appropriately to handle the new case). How is asking for a counter-example unscientific?

The person who has to prove something is the person who creates the hypothesis.

Ah. Like the theory of evolution is conclusively proved? The scientific method is about predictive power not proof. Try reading the reference that I gave Ben. (And if you've got something to prove, maybe the scientific method isn't so good for you. :-)

And MW has given not a tiny argument for his hypothesis that a natural language understanding system can easily be a scientist.

First, I'd appreciate it if you'd drop the strawman. You are the only one who keeps insisting that anything is "easy".

Second, my hypothesis is more correctly stated that the pre-requisites for a natural language understanding system are necessary and sufficient for a scientist because both are AGI-complete. Again, I would appreciate it if you could correctly represent it in the future.

Third, while I haven't given a tiny argument, I have given a reasonably short logical chain which I'll attempt to rephrase yet again.

Science is all about modeling the world and predicting future data.
The scientific method simply boils down to making a theory (of how to change or enhance your world model) and seeing if it is supported (not proved!) or disproved by future data. Ben's and my disagreement initially came down to whether a scientist was an Einstein (his view) or merely capable of competently reviewing data to see if it supports, disproves, or isn't relevant to the predictive power of a theory (my view). Later, he argued that most humans aren't even competent to review data and can't be made competent. I agreed with his assessment that many scientists don't competently review data (inappropriate over-reliance on the heuristic p < 0.5 without understanding what it truly means) but disagreed as to whether the average human could be *taught* Ben's argument was that the scientific method couldn't be codified well enough to be taught. My argument was that the method was codified sufficiently but that the application of the method was clearly context dependent and could be unboundedly complex.

But this is actually a distraction from some more important arguments . . . . The $1,000,000 question is "If a human can't be taught something, is that human a general intelligence?" The $5,000,000 question is "If a human can't competently follow a recipe in a cookbook, do they have natural language understanding?"

Fundamentally, this either comes down to a disagreement about what a general intelligence is and/or what understanding and meaning are. Currently, I'm using the definition that a general intelligence is one that can achieve competence in any domain in a reasonable length of time.
To achieve competence in a domain, you have to "understand" that domain
My definition of understanding is that you have a mental model of that domain that has predictive power in that domain and which you can update as you learn about that domain.
(You could argue with this definition if you like)
Or, in other words, you have to be a competent scientist in that domain -- or else, you don't truly "understand" that domain

So, for simplicity, why don't we just say
   scientist = understanding

Now, for a counter-example to my initial hypothesis, why don't you explain how you can have natural language understanding without understanding (which equals scientist ;-).

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dr. Matthias Heger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>