--- On Thu, 10/30/08, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What are the shapes/forms (and range of shapes/forms) of
> atoms?

The shapes are given by solving Schrodinger's equation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger_equation

> And how would you or physics derive the properties of
> different materials from these shapes?

By solving the equation for millions of atoms on a very large computer.
Computing chemical and physical properties has never been done this way because
unfortunately the computation time increases exponentially with the number of
particles.

> where will the S&P 500
> be at the end of Tuesday?

Sorry, I would need a computer much bigger than the universe to compute that
(and it probably wouldn't finish running by Tuesday).

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]