Ben,

Kauffman does not provide a new worldview, certainly - he merely identifies the
need for one - and he shows how this is necessary at every level from basic
physics to economics and our psychology of thinking. He crucially shows that
this worldview must incorporate the creative principle which is evident at
every level of evolution - and which is of central importance for AGI.

I don't think, as I said, that his is a major work,  precisely because he
doesn't have any new theory about the creative principle. But it's an important
valuable work - a stepping stone - because our worldview is about to change
(much as our economic-and-poltical world order is about to change!).

Thanks for your more detailed points in answer to my criticisms of AGI's "lack
of creativity." But if I may, I'll reply in a more considered way another time
- the criticisms still hold :).

  Ben/MT:

    This is why I keep banging on about Kauffman's Reinventing the Sacred.It
deals precisely with this.  And it makes the connection - as AI/AGI-ers
completely fail to do between all kinds of creativity - from low-level
evolutionary creativity to high-level human and social creativity. (BTW
evolution and creativity have themselves evolved and taken on new forms - and
will continue to do so).

  I'm not sure why you're so pumped about Kauffman as regards creativity ... I
like his work, but it's not as though he gives any kind of detailed explanation
 of how specific acts of human creativity come about

  Your big argument against my approach to AGI seems to be that I haven't give
detailed, step-by-step explanations of how human-level-AI-type acts of
creativity would come about in a system built according to my designs...

  My counterargument is that in a system like OpenCogPrime, any substantial
creative act is going to arise via the combination of a huge number of small
cognitive acts interrelating in complex ways.  So there is no reason to expect
it to be simple to give a detailed explanation of how a substantial creative
act will come about in the system ...

  I think it might take weeks  of effort to chart out the possible dynamics of
a single substantial creative act within the OpenCogPrime system.  This might
well be an interesting exercise to carry out, but I haven't yet done it.

  Now, what does Kauffman do?  Does he explain in detail how some particular,
substantial creative act might emerge in a human brain, or an AI system?  No.
He lays out some general principles and ideas, and then gives examples from
much simpler systems, whose resemblance to AGI systems is highly
theory-dependent.

  In short, he -- like me -- thinks that any substantial creative act is going
to arise via the combination of a huge number of small cognitive acts
interrelating in complex ways ... so that there is no reason to expect it to be
simple to give a detailed explanation of how a substantial creative act will
come about in a complex system like the human brain ...

  ben g