To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] Ethics of computer-based cognitive experimentation

John LaMuth wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Loosemore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:05 AM

One of the main conclusions of the paper I am writing now is that you will (almost certainly) have no choice in the matter, because a sufficiently powerful type of AGI will be conscious whether you like it or not.
Richard Loosemore

Consciousness has only been demonstrated in biological systems.

Until we can understand how consc. emerges within biology / neuroanatomy contexts then your AGI assertions amount to nothing but faith-based conjectures ...

Actually, my proposal is not just about AGI, as you imply, it is about understanding how consciousness emerges within biology/neuroanatomy (more generally, how it emerges within any system that shows intelligence of a cerrtain sort, regardless of substrate).

So it applies equally to the biology and the AGI cases. I would never suggest a solution to the problem if it did not cover both.

Richard Loosemore