Richard and Bill,

On 11/18/08, BillK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Richard Loosemore wrote:
> > I see how this would work:  crazy people never tell lies, so you'd be
> able
> > to nail 'em when they gave the wrong answers.

Yup. That's how they pass lie detector tests as well.

> They sincerely believe the garbage they spread around.

In 1994 I was literally sold into servitude in Saudi Arabia as a sort of
slave programmer (In COBOL on HP-3000 computers) to the Royal Saudi Air
Force. I managed to escape that situation with the help of the same
Wahhabist Sunni Muslims that are now causing so many problems. With that
background, I think I understand them better than most people.

As in all other societies, they are not given the whole truth, e.g. most
have never heard of the slaughter at Medina, and believe that Mohamed never
hurt anyone at all.

My hope and expectation is that, by allowing people to research various
issues as they work on their test, that a LOT of people who might otherwise
fail the test will instead reevaluate their beliefs, at least enough to come
up with the right answers, whether or not they truly believe them. At least
that level of understanding assures that they can carry on a reasoned
conversation. This is a MAJOR problem now. Even here on this forum, many
people still don't get *reverse* reductio ad absurdum.

BTW, I place most of the blame for the middle east impasse on the West
rather than on the East. The Koran says that most of the evil in the world
is done by people who think they are doing good, which brings with it a good
social mandate to publicly reconsider and defend any actions that others
claim to be evil. The next step is to proclaim evil doers as "unwitting
agents of Satan". If there is still no good defense, then they drop the
"unwitting". Of course, us stupid uncivilized Westerners have fallen into
this, and so 19 brave men sacrificed their lives just to get our attention,
but even that failed to work as planned. Just what DOES it take to get our
attention - a nuke in NYC? What the West has failed to realize is that they
are playing a losing hand, but nonetheless, they just keep increasing the
bet on the expectation that the other side will fold. They won't. I was as
much intending my test for the sort of stupidity that nearly all Americans
harbor as that carried by Al Queda. Neither side seems to be playing with a
full deck.

Steve Richfield