Ben:

On 11/18/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This sounds an awful lot like the Hegelian dialectical method...

Your point being?

We are all stuck in Hegal's Hell whether we like it or not. Reverse Reductio
ad Absurdum is just a tool to help guide us through it.

There seems to be a human tendency to say that something "sounds an awful
lot like (something bad)" to dismiss it, but the crucial thing is often the
details rather than the broad strokes. For example, the Communist Manifesto
detailed the coming fall of Capitalism, which we may now be seeing in the
current financial crisis. Sure, the "solution" proved to be worse than the
problem, but that doesn't mean that the identification of the problems was
in error.

>From what I can see, ~100% of the (mis?)perceived threat from AGI comes from
a lack of understanding of RRAA (Reverse Reductio ad Absurdum), both by
those working in AGI and those by the rest of the world. This clearly has
the potential of affecting your own future success, so it is probably worth
the extra 10 minutes or so to dig down to the very bottom of it, understand
it, discuss it, and then take your reasoned position regarding it. After
all, your coming super-intelligent AGI will probably have to master RRAA to
be able to resolve intractable disputes, so you will have to be on top of
RRAA if you are to have any chance of debugging your AGI.

Steve Richfield