On 1/9/2009 9:28 AM, Vladimir Nesov wrote:
 You need to name those parameters in a sentence only because it's
 linear, in a graph they can correspond to unnamed nodes. Abstractions
 can have structure, and their applicability can depend on how their
 structure matches the current scene. If you retain in a scene graph
 only relations you mention, that'd be your abstraction.

I'm not sure if you mean a graph in the sense of nodes and edges, or in a visual sense.

If the former, any implementation requires that the edges identify or link somehow to the appropriate nodes -- so how is this done in humans and what experiments reveal it? If the later, the location in space of the node in the abstract graph is effectively it's identity -- are you suggesting that human abstraction is always visual, and if so what experimental evidence is there?

I don't mean to include or exclude your theory of abstraction, but the question is whether you know of experiments that shed light on this area.