Check this out!

The title "Space and time, not surface features, guide object persistence"
says it all.

http://pbr.psychonomic-journals.org/content/14/6/1199.full.pdf

Over just the last couple days I have begun to realize that they are so
right. My idea before of using high frame rates is also spot on. The brain
does not use features as much as we think. First we construct a model of the
object, then we probably decide what features to index it with for future
search. If we know that the object occurs at a particular location in space,
then we can learn a great deal about it with very little ambiguity! Of
course, processing images at all is hard, but that's besides the point...
The point is that we can automatically learn about the world using high
frame rates and a simple heuristic for identifying specific objects in a
scene. Because we can reliably identify them, we can learn an extremely
large amount in a very short period of time. We can learn about how lighting
affects the colors, noise, size, shape, components, attachment
relationships, etc. etc.

So, it is very likely that screenshots are not simpler than real images!
lol. The objects in real images usually don't change as much, as drastically
or as quickly as the objects in screenshots. That means that we can use the
simple heuristics of size, shape, location and continuity of time to match
objects and learn about them.

Dave