On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Fool <fool1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For that matter, is the card paradox still compelling? I had a look at the
> current ruleset and I'd guess that nowadays the card paradox would be
> resolved by R1030 ("In a conflict between rules...") or R2240 ("In a
> conflict between clauses of the same rule...")

Precedence between rules (though not clauses) was largely the same in
2005 as it is now; the wording of the card paradox is "that card shall
be deemed to have not been played", which is not really a rule
conflict, though it could arguably be interpreted as one.  The reason
that a paradox like that is supposed to be unlikely to happen again is
that we strictly avoid actual retroactive effects in favor of
simulated ones, though some have fallen through the cracks - I think
one of those came up in one of BobTHJ's eras, and another just
recently with the promises thing, which still hasn't been ruled on.