On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> 1.  As you say, one Rule says you played a card and have it, and
> another rule says you cancelled the play.  The rules conflict, so
> the play of the lower-powered is "conflicting" and void.

But the odd thing is, the latter rule isn't conflicting with the
former: it's conflicting with a *past version* of the former.  If the
rule saying you could perform the action were repealed or modified, it
wouldn't have any effect on the paradox.

> You can
> get around the "deemed to have not happened" by saying that one can't
> deem the impossible.  That "deemed" language was always a tricky one
> in any case (similar to the sort of tricky things that happen with
> ratification).

...But then again, perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that the
simplest possible treatment of retroactive actions - just "deeming"
them directly and being vague about the mechanism with which time
travel is simulated - does not adequately explain what happens in
certain situations.  It's not that different from any other too-vague
rule, it's just that time travel thingies tend to feel like
fundamental universal paradoxes; and only reasonable that the solution
is to be more explicit about it, as we have been.  The only question
is whether a scam rule can subvert higher powered rules by causing
unwanted retroactive action (this has actually been tried, though I
don't remember the outcome), and the answer quite possibly depends on
the *other* fundamental CFJ waiting to be assigned, the one about
whether the gamestate stores a mutable record of history or not.