On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Aug 2017, Aris Merchant wrote:

>> > Well, by common definition, if a nomic by its own rules was "destroyed",
>> > I'd say that instance of it would "cease to exist" and it would
>> > basically say "this nomic has ended, game over."
>> >

>> True. Rules 101 and 1698 prevent it, in this case, and you'd have to
>> repeal both to make it work (or pass a rule of greater power). Would
>> anyone object to raising them to power 4, or 3.9, or something, just
>> to prevent this from accidentally happening?
>
> R101 has gone through major changes to reflect the flavor of the current
> game, "the game may be won, but the game never ends" to me is more about
> flavor than protection (like "please treat Agora Right Good Forever").
> R1698 (and maybe R2449) have more mechanical protections IMO.  So I'd
> leave R101 at power-3, personally.

It has some mechanical protections. The most important one is that it
defines the game: "Agora is a game of Nomic, wherein Persons, acting
in accordance with the Rules, communicate their game Actions and/or
results of these actions via Fora in order to play the game." Rule
1698 provides that no rule change can cause the game to cease to
exist, but it doesn't say that it does exist. Therefore, IMO, 101 is
on the same level as 1698.

-Aris

-Aris