Agreed on the ACORN, though I did like the name.

They're so generic it's just hard to believe that they won't be
useful. I mean, they're basically flexible rule extensions. They span
the gap between actions, which can only have specified effect for a
single instant, and rules, which can do whatever they want. They can
only have specified effects, but do so on an ongoing basis. It's a
concept that fits tournaments pretty nicely, for instance. There have
also been proposals to require, e.g., a specified list of checks that
must be done before submitting a proposal, which would also make sense
as a regulation. Yet for some reason no one ever seems to use them.
I'm not sure if that's because flexible rule extensions are just
unnecessary for some ineffable reason, or because people don't
understand what they're for, or for some reason. Would anyone care to
opine on that?

To be clear, I'd really like for regulations to exist, but I'd like
them to be used. If there's something that can be done to make it so
people actually start using them more widely (where appropriate, of
course), I'd like to do it.

-Aris