On 5/27/2020 2:48 PM, Publius Scribonius Scholasticus wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 5:44 PM James Cook wrote:
>>
>>> *7831  Alexis     3.0  Vigilante Justice
>>> The full creation of the cards system of justice (many pieces of which
>>> remain in the Referee rules).
>>
>> That was an interesting read. (Adopted Dec 5, 2016;
>> https://mailman.agoranomic.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/agora-official/2016-December/011302.html
>> )
>>
>> It looks like this proposal also introduced the R2422 paragraph on the
>> order of operations for computing voting strength.
>>
>> This part was funny:
>>
>>>      A Green Card is a type of Card that is appropriate for minor,
>>>    accidental, and/or inconsequential infraction. A Green Card is also
>>>    appropriate for any infraction for which no other type of Card is
>>>    appropriate. When a person is issued a Green Card, they are ENCOURAGED
>>>    to travel to the United States.
>>
>> and this is interesting:
>>
>>>    As part of the Referee's weekly duties, e SHALL either impose
>>>  Summary Judgment on a player or truthfully announce that e believes
>>>  that there are no rules violations in the preceding Agoran week for
>>>  which a Card has not already been issued.
>>
>> - Falsifian
>
> I personally really liked the cards system and would like to bring
> parts of it back, but I wasn't around in 2016, so I'll happily defer
> to others.

Well that last bit sucked for the referee - it meant the referee had to
look at literally everything, reports, lateness of judgements, etc. to
certify that there were no violations.  The referee would sometimes commit
a minor infraction and award emself a green card because that was easier.

Other than that and other minor tweaks I think it worked well and I liked
it.  IIRC the reason we got rid of it wasn't because it was bad, it was
the desire to commodify punishment to include in the economy?

Looking closer, that proposal didn't invent the card system, but it
greatly elaborated it (from a single rule simple concept - too simple
really - to a much longer and fuller justice system).

-G.

  • DIS: Back-Awarding of... Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
    • Re: DIS: Back-Aw... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
      • Re: DIS: Bac... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
        • Re: DIS:... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
          • Re: ... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
          • Re: ... James Cook via agora-discussion
            • ... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
              • ... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
                • ... nch via agora-discussion
                • ... James Cook via agora-discussion
                • ... Rebecca via agora-discussion