On 5/28/2020 9:14 AM, Rebecca via agora-discussion wrote:

> isn't law in real life exactly this though? there are plenty of things like
> littering that people often do (and attract relatively small consequences)
> that are just as illegal under law as, say, murder.

Sure, that's why you divide things into felonies, misdemeanors, traffic
fines, civil offenses, etc.  But you write that into the law so it's clear
you don't use the same language for all of those. In a game sense, in this
iterative social contract (where your "reputation" is part of the
trade-off) it's good to be clear between "yeah that's part of playing the
game, we'll give you a blot but we won't be mad" and "we're going to yell
a lot, consider your victory tainted, and try to hit you with heavy
penalties".  Just so we all get along better, you know?

We don't have that right now - our "Class N" system is really incomplete
and inconsistent.  Previously (when we had differential designations we
didn't have any violations where we didn't say that it was either a Crime
or Infraction (that is, every SHALL NOT was paired with whether it was a
Crime or Infraction).  We'd have to go to every SHALL NOT in the rules and
categorize it to set this up again.

It's especially important if we want to give the Officers any duties that
involve exploitable powers - want to be clear "we're giving you these
powers and don't expect you to abuse them, or the subgame is ruined."

-G.