On 5/28/2020 10:07 AM, Rebecca via agora-discussion wrote:

>> Well in the great majority of chess games these days, someone would be
> unable to move a knight incorrectly because the game was played online and
> therefore the program would simply not move the piece.

Yes, I totally agree - if we had auto-checkers so you were literally
physically stopped from making such moves, we could turn all violations
into CANNOTS and save a lot of bother.  A large part of the reason we use
SHALL NOTS is for situations where either it's simply too hard to
recalculate state for everything, or it's impossible to take back, or if
we don't want to essentally "stop the game" for every unusual move.

We're much more like a physical board or card game than a computer game in
that sense - if our pieces get on the wrong squares (i.e. on reports) it's
a real pain to figure out where the pieces "should" have been.

-G.