On 8/30/2022 9:25 AM, ais523 via agora-discussion wrote:
> On Tue, 2022-08-30 at 18:14 +0200, Madrid via agora-discussion wrote:
>> Its true that I don't care much about upholding ancient tradition.
>>
>> It's nomic, a game of change, and I'm very willing to see Spivak
>> removed.

[snip]

> I probably wouldn't object to a widespread change to singular-they if
> the general view of the playerlist is that that would be preferable,
> but it would be likely to add a little extra confusion for no real
> benefit (the distinction between singular "e" and plural "they" makes
> it easier to parse what a rule is saying).

Just as a minor clarification, I'm not arguing for Spivak per se based on
"ancient tradition" but more along the lines you suggest here, of
evaluating our community standards continuously but generally
respectfully.  The important point for me is that this is not just an
isolated quibble over a single instance of language use (and a single
unfortunate comparison), but rather an inability to reach a reasonable
accommodation with the current community's longstanding/currently-standing
practices.

That stuff is just exhausting and not fun in any gaming group, beyond any
historical points or future changes.

-G.